View of frosty ground out of helicopter cockpit.

VA Students

As a Vocational Flight School, Alyeska Helicopters is approved by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for GI Bill® education benefits for those who wish to pursue their aviation goals. To qualify for this distinction, our flight school has met numerous strict requirements put in place by both the FAA and the VA as a Part 141 facility.

Which courses are eligible for VA Benefits?

At this point in time, only a selection of our advanced courses are covered by VA benefits. You will first need to cover your own costs for either a Private Pilot Helicopter Certificate or Private Helicopter Add-On Rating. Then, you’ll be able to utilize your VA benefits in our subsequent courses.

The following Alyeska Helicopters programs available for VA funding are:

  • Commercial
  • Commercial Add-On
  • Certified Flight Instructor (CFI)

What else do I need to get started?

Make sure you meet the VA Eligibility Requirements. You also must have a valid 1st or 2nd class flight physical to exercise commercial privileges. If you allow your medical to expire, your benefits will be cancelled. Once you have completed your private pilot certificate or add-on rating, and have passed your flight physical, we will be able to enroll you in the next VA approved course.

What does the Post 9/11 Bill cover?

Depending on what you qualify for, with the Post 9/11 GI Bill you may be eligible to have the a decent portion of your schooling paid for. The VA sets a reimbursement cap for the academic year. to see your maximum coverage allowance, refer to the VA’s rate schedule.  The school will be reimbursed directly, so you may not have to pay anything unless you exceed the academic cap.

What does the Montgomery GI Bill cover?

Utilizing the Montgomery GI Bill, you will be responsible for paying the cost of training up front. You will then be reimbursed 60% of the cost at the end of each month. Keep in mind that you will only be reimbursed up to the FAA minimums. Should you exceed those minimums, you will be responsible for the covering the cost of any extra hours needed.

How do I apply for VA Benefits?

If you’re a Post 9-11 or Montgomery GI Bill student enrolling with us, you will need to apply for your benefits through the VA here:

If you have used your educational benefits before, you will need to download and fill out VA Form 22-1995.

Please contact us with any questions, or call the VA at (888)-442-4551.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at